The Motorcycle Academy Forums

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

A Scam to be aware of when selling a bike.

5 posters

Go down

A Scam to be aware of when selling a bike. Empty A Scam to be aware of when selling a bike.

Post  ghss Mon Oct 12, 2009 6:23 am

Let me tell you about trying to sell my bike on Autotrader.

My bike went into autotrader (CBR600F - £2995). I used my email and also the telesafe autotrader number; I then received this email from “Kerry Brown” –

MODEL: CBR
PRICE: £2995

I SAW YOUR BIKE ADVERT ON THE WEB ( AUTOTRADER.CO.UK )
AND I'M INTERESTED IN BUYING IT FOR THE PRICE,
SO I WILL REALLY APPRECIATE IF YOU CAN GET BACK TO ME IF
THE BIKE IS STILL AVAILABLE SO THAT WE CAN DISCUSS BETTER.
I WILL WANT TO KNOW THE DETAILS AND CONDITION OF THE BIKE.
PAYMENT WILL BE IN BANK DRAFT OR CHEQUE.I
WILL BE WAITING TO READ FROM YOU SOONEST.
REGARDS
KERRY
[/i]

Yes, probably thought the same as you guys .. a bit dodgy, never mind in for a penny in for a pound I replied back the usual details. He then sent this –

Thanks for the reply, I really need the bike for the comfort of myself
in which i seems to be so much in love with it..not to waste much time i'd like
to let you know i like it and would want to be fast with buying.
And since am currently staying in France, i shall be sending you
a Banker's Draft,so do let me have your details-i mean your
full-name,address and mobile phone number so i could reach you easily.
thanks.

Kerry

Well, ok a bit dodgy however I’m sending him nothing which he can’t get hold of name/address/telephone number . I then did some googling, yep, he’s known. His name appeared on an American website from somebody who had been scammed also the exact same email was sent to a guy on a Peugeot owner’s club website where “Kerry Brown” wanted to buy his car. Also the telephone number is premium rate which appeared on Martin’s Money Tips website. He then sent this –

How are you today? I was told today by post man that there was a delay in post and thats why you couldn't get the payment on time, i was told you are going to get it tomorrow or next week, am very sorry for the delay, thanks again and have a nice weekend.

Well, I didn’t reply at all and just left it as I didn’t think anymore about it, until today when a bankers draft (HSBC) arrived for the amount of £5250 with a post mark from republique du benin. I’m assured that the draft is genuine. I wasn’t sure why he had sent more than the asking price until, literally whilst I was typing this post, this email arrived-

How was your weekend? just wanna let you know that payment will get to you today or tomorrow, kindly let me know as soon as you get it and dont also forget to get it banked as well, as soon as the money clear your bank my shipping agent will be coming to your house for the collection and proper documentation....the payment also bear the shipping cost....I will get back to you with full details shortly..thanks again....

I’ve done some more digging and the scam is,I think (apart from the premium rate phone number) I would put that into my account which then would show as there but not cleared, then they would pull out of the deal and ask for their money back which could be taken straight from my account, there money wouldn’t clear after 7 days as there is no funds in that account the draft was raised on. If anybody knows differently or has a better idea how I was going to get scammed then please let me know.
I’ve informed Autotrader and apparently this happens a lot…..great help….thanks. I am considering taking what I have to the Police but I’m not sure what they could do apart from being made aware for my own piece of mind.
Anyway, sorry it’s a bit long winded but I thought you guys should be made aware

Take care
ghss
ghss

Back to top Go down

A Scam to be aware of when selling a bike. Empty Re: A Scam to be aware of when selling a bike.

Post  dazman Mon Oct 12, 2009 12:20 pm

Good shout out gh.

I've heard about this scam from 2 other people now & unfortunately the general concensous when reporting the incident to the police is that they don't have the resources to do anything about it along with many other internet fraud schemes.

Well worth the post tho so thanks for taking the time to do it.

Now!!..........Isn't there a motorway somewhere that needs some debris clearing up??
Very Happy Very Happy
dazman
dazman

Back to top Go down

A Scam to be aware of when selling a bike. Empty Re: A Scam to be aware of when selling a bike.

Post  ghss Mon Oct 12, 2009 1:44 pm

I'll be on my way then Darren the rolling road block and lights are flashing as we speak..... bounce

Well i went to the police and as expected they can't do anything. I then went to HSBC who issued the draft and they have taken the "fake draft" and have given it to there fraud department.

I'll put the bike in the for sale forum with photos..
ghss
ghss

Back to top Go down

Post  Valentino Rocky Mon Oct 12, 2009 3:04 pm

Yep, definitely a good shout mate.

We had the same thing happen to us with our car although we cashed the draft and didn't give over our details - obviously we never saw the money but they obv realised we rumbled them and yes, the police have got better things to do!

well worth spreading the news cos you never know.

Valentino Rocky

Back to top Go down

Post  Phil Thu Oct 15, 2009 1:43 pm

I had the same thing from two different contacts when i tried to sell my car.

I thought it was too good to be true, especially when they offered £100 over what i asked for.

After a quick google on car selling scams it came up with all the details.
Phil
Phil

Back to top Go down

Post  Rickster Tue Oct 27, 2009 4:35 am

B*ST*RDS The same thing happened to my boss at work selling his beatle cheque arrived and bounced be carefull.
Rickster
Rickster

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down